Are you looking for some easy ways related to how to set up double end bag at home? Then, luckily, you have jumped to the right tab.
Different types of bags are used in boxing to develop rhythm and coordination. Some people opt for punching bags, and others go for speed bags.
However, there is one more category of bags called the double end bag, which also provides the benefits of both the bags.
Unfortunately, a large population doesn’t know how to set up a double end bag at home.
So, today we are all aimed to make you well abreast with the different ways of mounting a double end bag, along with some double end bag routine exercises to follow.
Now, without blinking the eye one more time, let’s dive into the details!
Related: If you are looking for some best speedbags then click here
What is a Double End Bag?
Providing the power and conditioning of heavy bags, rhythm, and accuracy of speed bags, double end bags are probably the best bags to improve and develop a deep hands-on plethora of boxing techniques.
These bags are also known as “Crazy Bags” and “Floor to Ceiling bags”. It needs to be attached or hooked up from two points; one at the ceiling and the other on the floor. That is what makes double end bags different from standard bags.
Double End Bag Sizes and Variables
The double end bags come in various sizes, shapes, and elasticity adjustments.
- The speed and coordination vary directly in accordance with the size. So, the smaller the end bag, the faster it moves.
- Different shaped double end bags are accurate for different punches and boxing techniques. For example, pea-shaped is best for punches, while ball-shaped is best for uppercuts.
- The number of balls also varies. A single ball double end bag is perfect for body punches. On the other hand, a 2 in 1 double end bag provides you with the chance to practice both face and body punches at a time.
- Last but not least, the double end bag adjustable strap allows you to readjust the height of the ball too.
And with this, the section on variables concludes. Now let’s directly move into the details of how to hook up double end bag?
How to Set Up Double End Bag in Apartment? 3 Different Ways!
Double end bags are very beneficial to the training regime as it helps in training you in all the boxing techniques, let it be footwork, punching, grabbing- in short, any technique.
To install a double end bag in your apartment or at home, you can opt for the following three ways:
- Anchoring to ceiling and floor
- Setting up with a stand
- Mounting without drilling
No matter which way of setting up you opt for, there are some primary tools you always need to keep at your backend. It includes:
- A screwdriver
- A pencil
- Plumb line
- A drill
Apart from this, all the other materials and hardware are usually present in the double end bag set.
Now, let’s move into the different ways of setting up these types of bags.
How to Set Up Double End Bag on the Ceiling and Floor?
If you have a separate place in your apartment where you can permanently affix your double end bag, this method is probably the best option. Since it is anchored to both the ceiling and the floor, there is no way out for the ball to move around or give up, resulting in a compromise in your boxing techniques by disturbing the tension force.
So, to set up in this way, follow the given steps
1. Marking the Respective Anchoring Points
The first and foremost step is marking the anchoring points on the ceiling and floor. But before marking a point, consider if that point leaves ample space for you to move around the bag from all four sides.
If yes, take a pencil and mark the point on the ceiling. Now, hang a plumb line from this mark, wait for it to stop swinging, and mark the point on the floor precisely below the ceiling point. ( If you can’t drill holes in the ceiling, opt for wall mounts.)
2. Installation of the Mounts
Once you have marked the points, the next step is to make holes in the two points. So, take your drilling machine out, and drill holes. However, be careful not to make a large hole.
After you have drilled properly, secure the mounts with screws.
3. Inflating the Bag
Once the mounts are placed correctly, the next step is to mount the bag. So, take out your double end bag, and start Inflating it.
4. Installing the Bag
Done with the Inflating part, next comes the installation process. Now, attach one end of the bungee cord to the ceiling mount and the other end to the floor mount.
5. Adjusting the Height
After you have mounted the bag correctly, the last step is to use the double end bag adjustable strap to attain the desired height.
Hurray! You got it right. Now you can freely practice all the double end bag exercises.
How to Set Up Double End Bag with a Weighted Base?
If you aim to practice double end bag kicks and techniques at home but unfortunately can’t drill holes in the floor due to one reason or another, then this way to step up the bag is surely going to solve your problem.
In this double end bag decathlon, you use a weighted base and stand to hook up the bag and not drill the hole in the floor.
So, to install it using a weighted base, follow the given steps:
- Take a pencil, and mark the point in the ceiling where you want to make the hole.
- Hang a plumb line, and place the weighted base just below it.
- Drill the hole, and secure the wall mounts using screws
- Inflate your bag, and attach one end of the bungee to the ceiling mount and the other to the weighted base.
- Here you go! The setup is all ready to serve the double end bag purpose.
How to Set Up Double End Bag without Drilling?
Of the three ways, it’s the least preferable way to set up your bag without drilling. It is hooked with the door frame most of the time.
So, to set up without drilling, follow the given steps:
- Firstly, buy a pull bar
- Attach it to your door frame
- Attach one of the bungee cords to it and the other to the weighted base
- Adjust the height using the strap of the double end bag.
- Here you go!
So, these were the three different ways to mount a double end bag in a home or apartment.
Now, let’s briefly discuss some of the tips, techniques, and obviously, their importance.
Is a Double End Bag worth it?- A Few Benefits!
Double end bag is, undoubtedly, the best combo of punching bag and speed bag. It provides you with various benefits and helps with multiple factors. A few known benefits are:
- Helps you to become more accurate with time since it moves back and forth more quickly than a heavy bag. Claiming it to be realistic like an opponent won’t be wrong. Moreover, it improves rhythm and accuracy.
- Makes the punching speed better by making your long punches quick all the time in any direction
- Helps to build muscle strength and make reflexes 100% attentive
- Surely going to help with your footwork
Double End Bag Workout for Beginners
In this section, we are lined up to discuss some of the double end bag techniques and drills you can practice at home as a beginner.
However, before practicing the given combos, remember that your focus should be on timing, accuracy, and precision.
- The first technique you can try is practicing various punching combos. You can start with a straight punch and gradually add other punches from all directions. However, don’t rest for more than 3 seconds between the combo. You can go for a “punch kick punch”, or a “Jab cross punch” combo. Moreover, you can also make your own combo.
- After developing a grip on punches, pair it with some back movement defensive techniques like block and cross. Also, try to practice clinching along with it.
- And with it, focus on your foot movement too. Try to slide left and right after each drill or move.
Double End Bag Tips
Last but not least, let’s shed light on some of the tips to follow.
- Keep the combos small
- Use quick combinations
- Opt for LLR or RRL rhythm
- Keep throwing. Don’t rest for longer than 2 to 3 seconds.
- Move around the bag as if it is the center of your ring’s circle.
Conclusion- Last Words!
Different boxing bags offer different benefits, but if you love a bag that is the jack of all trades, then Double end bag is the best bet for you to make.
And with this, the umbrella of “How to set up double end bag at home” comes to an end. Now, it’s high time for you to buy one and start practicing on it.
Chris Bent is a professional MMA Trainer who has expertise in both Martial Arts and Karate and he loves to teach Men, Women and Kids.