Hand wraps are one of the essential equipment for boxers and fighters. These extensions primely ensure that your sweaty hands don’t come in direct contact with gloves, but this makes the wraps too stinky. So, let’s find out how to wash boxing hand wraps and store them properly.
Hand wraps absorb the sweat, resulting in odor, which, if not washed properly, would become quite challenging to remove and get rid of. Moreover, the humidity can result in the growth of fungi and bacteria, ultimately leading to infection as soon as you wear the hand wraps.
So, if you are also looking for some easy ways to wash hand wraps properly at home, fortunately, luck is by your side, as in this article, we are all lined up to discuss everything that falls under the umbrella of “How to wash boxing wrist wraps”.
Now, without any further ado, let’s dive into the details of washing the boxing hand wraps.
Why Use Boxing Hand Wraps?- The Purpose
Before getting into the details of how to wash boxing hand wraps, let’s first figure out: what are boxing hand wraps used for?
So, the purpose of boxing hand wraps is not only to absorb the sweat and protect our gloves from getting stinky but also to provide with following benefits:
- It supports the wrist so that it remains straight and doesn’t get twisted while absorbing the impact of the punch.
- It covers the empty space between your hand and the boxing gloves. Mostly, an empty area remains around the knuckles, palm, and wrist, which, if not properly covered, can lead to injuries. A study done in 2010 by the University of Florida showed that wrapping the hands reduces the chances of injury by nearly 60 to 70%.
- Putting on boxing hand wraps secures the movable bones and joints so that shock can be evenly distributed.
Boxing without hand wraps can be risky and increase the chance of getting injured many-fold by putting pressure on joints and lessening the cushion effect.
Boxing Hand Wrap Techniques to Wear Properly
Hand wraps are effective in providing protection and cushioning effect only if you wear them properly. So, here are a few hand wrap techniques to consider in order to avail the maximum benefit
- First of all, wrap the fingers. Then put your thumb over the four fingers and make a fist. Wrap around it.
- Then wrap from knuckles all the way down to hand as tightly as possible. However, make sure you don’t numb your fingers.
- Here you go! Now check the fist and hand until tension relieves and the fingers feel at ease.
How to Wash Hand Wraps for Boxing?
To some people, it may seem weird that a pair of boxing hand wraps need proper care. But it is an essential step to do, and if not done correctly, it leads to various issues.
So, here are some easy ways how to wash boxing hand wraps at home.
Hand Wraps stink nearly after every single use. Moreover, due to the absorbance of excessive amounts of sweat, they become wet. So, if you aim to clean the hand wraps after every single use, you can go for a relatively easier method which is
- Rinse the hand wraps with clean tap water to wash up and remove the grime present.
- You can use any mild soap for cleaning purposes. However, remember to wash out the soap properly.
- Unravel the boxing wraps, and let them air dry for 4 to 5 hours.
So, this is an easy everyday wash and cleaning routine you can opt for.
Cleaning the Wraps Using a Washing Machine
If you aim for proper, thorough cleaning of hand wraps, it is better to wash them in the washing machine. So, here is a step-by-step guide on how to wash boxing hand wraps in a washing machine:
Lay the boxing hand wraps out and ensure that they are properly dried, and no moisture is present.
2. Garment Bag
Put the hand wraps in a garment bag. It will protect your hand wraps not only from getting damaged but also prevent from getting entangled.
Moreover, this will also prevent the velcro of the wraps from catching and getting damaged.
Then close the garment bag and put it in the washing machine.
3. Washing in the Machine
Now, put the garment bag in the washing machine, and put cold water in the machine. The cold water resists shrinkage and any chance of wear and tear.
Moreover, it is recommended to use a mild laundry detergent to remove the stinky smell of sweat.
4. Air Dry
Last but not least, air dry the boxing hand wraps. It is highly recommended to air dry only and not use a dryer which can damage the wraps. Instead, hang them on a towel. Moreover, don’t roll them until they are completely dry and moisture-free.
Now that you have become well up with how to wash hand wraps for boxing, let’s move toward a few more inquiries regarding the topic.
What is the Right Time for Buying a New Pair of Boxing Hand Wraps?
No one can wear a new hand wrap after every round. But there are certain situations and damage that if occur to your boxing hand wraps buy a new one out. These include:
- The Velcro of your wraps has started to wear out
- Simple cleaning with mild soap isn’t helping to remove the odor
- Wraps have torn in one place or another
Types Of Boxing Hand Wraps
Although there are different boxing hand wraps, the two most common are traditional, and glove wraps.
- The traditional gloves are more like a thick fabric ribbon wrapped around the whole hand. It provides more protection.
- The glove wraps are fingerless wraps that wrap around the palm and wrist only. They provide less protection but are easy to wrap and clean.
Similarly, another confusion that most people face is hand wraps vs wrist wraps, the better one. So, in this situation, no one is a clear winner. Both wraps are useful and have their own ins and outs. But if your main focus is to get protection along with getting rid of the smell, hand wraps should be your first choice.
Conclusion- One Last Thought!
Hand wraps are no less than the first line of defense against the stinky odor of sweat. So, now that you are up with the ways of how to wash boxing hand wraps, what are you still waiting for?
Go ahead, use these tips, and say bye-bye to the smelly wraps forever!