If you’re planning to start MMA training, it might be one of the best decisions you ever made. Having said that, mixed martial arts is all about courage and physical strength. If you don’t have enough courage, you can’t stand in the ring. If you’re faint-hearted, the opponent will knock you out in no time. To be one of the best at the game, you must start with basic MMA techniques for beginners.
These techniques will help you grow in the best way and make you a pro at MMA. Let’s step forward to learn MMA techniques.
What is MMA?
One of the fastest-growing combat sports with millions of fans across the world. It is a game of thrill and full of eagerness that involves striking, punching, and different attacking techniques.
To learn mixed martial arts, you have to knock out your opponent with clever MMA techniques to win the game and be the champion. To get your techniques and training right, you have to start from scratch and take small steps toward being the best.
5 MMA Techniques For Beginners:
The right technique at the perfect time can flip the entire game and make you win. It takes a lot of practice and dedication to making the right decisions during a fight.
To win an almost lost fight, you also need to know the right techniques to apply to your opponent. We are about to share 5 basic MMA techniques for beginners to get your training right.
One of the most crucial and basic MMA moves is a jab. No matter which competency level you’re standing on, you must understand this method carefully.
Although it’s not a difficult technique, beginners still can’t get it right due to less concentration. So first, you need to have the required focus and then attack with full force.
How to do it?
- Lower your chin and posture a bit.
- Completely extend the arm of your dominant hand, and make sure that your elbow is aligned with your wrist.
- You have to concentrate on your footwork, it must be balanced.
- Force can be according to the type of fight.
- Now you can attack your jab with proper force at the perfect time.
Double Leg Down
Double leg down is one of the basic MMA techniques for beginners that you need to be right. No matter if you’re a learner or a pro MMA fighter, you must know how to knock your opponent down by double leg down. This technique has many variations depending on the competence of the fighter.
How to do it?
- The opponent must be closer to you for the double leg down.
- Get your hands behind the knees/hips of the opponent.
- Grab them firmly, move the opponent towards you, and pull him to the floor.
- In the end, you need to slam the opponent to your left or right, whatever suits the situation.
Heard about the devastatingly impactful MMA technique? That my friend is, Overhand Punch. Doing this technique right will make a noticeable difference in your fight. The overhand technique came from western boxing but is now an essential part of mixed martial arts. You need to do a lot of practice to ace it.
How to do it?
- You need to use your non-dominant hand for this technique.
- Bring all the force into your arm and extend it like a windmill motion.
- To avoid wrist sprain, align your fist and wrist together.
- Now target the head of the opponent and attack at the right time.
Single Leg Down
If you want to be proficient at MMA techniques, you need to master this technique. Single-leg takedown is one of the most common techniques that every fighter practices a lot. Attacking the kneecap is famous among all other single leg-down variations.
How to do it?
- First, distract the opponent by doing a jab.
- Bend at your knees, and don’t forget to maintain a proper posture while bending.
- Wrap your arms around the opponent’s leg and pull it.
- Make sure to balance your body and head while pulling.
- Step his leg outside.
- Finish the technique by slamming him down.
Round kick is one of the most dangerous MMA techniques for beginners. This technique came from Muay Thai and has now become the bread and butter of mixed martial arts.
The technique looks straightforward but is not as simple as it seems. You need good amount of sessions to ace it. The round kick has different levels such as low, mid, and high.
Low Kick: Easiest to land but can be missed due to the larger distance from the target.
Mid Kick: Most deadly when hit at the right place but easily countered with punches.
High Kick: Most difficult to land and a bit slow as well which gives the opponent to get prepared for a response.
How to do it?
- Chamber your leg. The leg should be perpendicular to the target.
- Twist your hips over and start turning the leg for the strike.
- Use your muscles and release the kick while maintaining the same position.
- Put the movement together.
- Add force and speed to your kick. Put as much force as you can.
Benefits of Learning Mixed Martial Arts:
After knowing the basic MMA techniques for beginners, you must know the health and mental benefits you’ll get from mixed martial arts.
- MMA practice will help you achieve your fitness goals daily.
- You’ll feel much younger as compared to other people the same age as you.
- You will feel much lighter and more stress-free than ever.
- The more you train yourself, the more your stamina will boost.
- Your posture will become balanced and straight.
- You’ll feel more focused and productive than before.
Chris Bent is a professional MMA Trainer who has expertise in both Martial Arts and Karate and he loves to teach Men, Women and Kids.