No matter how strong and fit your body is, you’re going to need a pair of shin guards for muay Thai practice. Thinking of cleaning the muay thai shin guards? But how to clean shin guards muay thai?
Shin guard is certainly one of the most important pieces of equipment you need in muay Thai sparring sessions. However, do you know that cleaning the shin guard is as important as washing other muay thai gear? If not, then this blog is going to save the shin guards that you’re using in every session.
Let’s accept the fact that the life span of shin guards is a little less than other muay thai equipment. But you can surely increase this lifespan by taking proper care of your shin guards. Are you wondering how you will do that? Stop wondering and start reading this blog post.
Stick by us till the end because we will save you from spending money on new MMA shin guards. Let’s deep dive in.
How to Clean Shin Guards Muay Thai?
Washing shin guards might feel a little challenging, especially if you haven’t done this before. But let us break it to you that it’s not as difficult as you think. All you need is to keep a few things in mind while cleaning your shin guards, such as material and the correct method.
The coming sections will make you understand the importance and right methods of washing shin guards. If you’re wondering how to clean shin guards muay Thai, then we are going to help you. Also, hang in there for some bonus tips.
Why Is Cleaning Shin Guards Important?
- Frequent cleaning of shin guards will help you use them for a longer period.
- Also, MMA shin guard washing will save you from buying a new pair of shin guards.
- You’ll get to wear squeaky clean shin guards for your sparring sessions.
- Not washing your equipment can become the reason if your sparring fellow avoids you during sessions.
- Furthermore, washing your shin guards will get rid of all the sweat, germs, and bacteria.
- Clean shin guards mean a happy sparring session which makes you a dedicated martial artist.
Steps of Cleaning Shin Guards
Here’s how to clean shin guards muay Thai.
The first step in washing the leather shin guards is soaking them in soapy water. This step will remove all stains and spots from the surface of MMA shin guards. Make sure to use the appropriate amount of soap or detergent.
Take a huge container, pour water into it, and then add a decent amount of detergent or soap to it. After that, put those dirty shin guards in the water for 15-20 minutes. Don’t exceed the time by more than 20 minutes as it might affect the material of the guards.
Don’t mold the shin guards because the molding isn’t great for leather shin guards. Also, make sure that the detergent doesn’t have any harsh chemicals.
Baking soda is great for removing stinky sweaty smells. That’s why using baking soda on shin guards can be a savior. Not only shin guard but you certainly can clean other MMA equipment as well.
To clean your guards, you need to cover the surface of the guards with baking soda. Make sure that every corner has enough baking soda. It’s recommended to apply the baking side on the outer as well as the inner surface.
Now, wait for a few hours so that baking soda does its magic and remove all foul smell. Also, if your guards are way too dirty and stinky then you can wait all night.
The last step of cleaning the guards would be drying them. We are going to mention a few options to dry the washed shin guards.
- You can simply hang them under open air and let them air dry.
- Another option is using a hair dryer. Yes, if you are having a training session, then a hair dryer can help you with that.
- To speed up the drying process, you can put the guards under sunlight as well. Direct sunlight isn’t great for shin guard material so don’t keep them under the sun for more than 20 minutes.
How To Deodorize Shin Guards Muay Thai?
Are you still not satisfied with the cleaning procedure? Does your shin guard still stink a little? If so, then you need to consider deodorizing them. Yes, it’ll remove the foul smell from your guards while making them new.
Buy a good quality deodorizer and use it on your guards. There are a few things you must check before performing this step. Such as, most deodorizers have huge quantities of bleachers which can be harmful to the material of guards.
However, if you are struggling to get the perfect pair of Muay Thai shin guards for you, then this blog post on the best shin guards can help.
Tips For Washing MMA Shin Guard
Now that you know how to clean shin guards muay Thai but still there are some tips you must know.
You can’t just grab your muay Thai shin guards and throw them in soapy water or the washing machine. Instead, you need to keep a few points in mind before cleaning your shin guards.
We are going to mention tips you must know if you’re planning to wash your muay thai leg protection guards.
- Never leave your guards soaking wet in sweat. Whenever you use your shin guard, always clean the outer layer of your guard. It’ll keep them cleaner and good for frequent use.
- It’s great to use a disinfectant wipe on the outer layer to make them germless and long-lasting.
- Never keep your guards with other damp cloth. Otherwise, your guards will get prone to bacterial growth.
- Always keep your sweaty guards in your training bag. Constant airing will keep them dry and odorless.
- You can stuff your guards with newspaper as it’ll absorb all the moisture content from them.
- Furthermore, if you want your guards to last longer then investing in a mesh training bag is surely a good idea. Since it’ll allow good airing and proper ventilation.
How to Wash a Shin Guard in a Washing Machine?
That’s one of the most common questions that come to mind. There’s no right or wrong answer because that depends on the material of your shin guards. Soft material-made guards are more susceptible to damage as compared to rough material shin guards.
Before putting your shin guards in the washing machine, check out the material of your shin guards. Rough materials like synthetic plastic or silicon can be put in the washer without getting worried. On the other hand, shin guards with soft material can get damaged easily in the washing machine.
Also, keep the marching rotations at a low level to avoid any damage to the construction of guards and washing machines as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I speed up the shin guard drying process?
You certainly can speed up the drying process if you have a training session after one or two days. Following are a few methods to do so.
- You can stuff cotton pieces or newspapers inside the shin guards. This can absorb extra moisture content from the layers of shin guards.
- Another way is putting glove dogs inside the guards to speed up the drying process.
- A hairdryer is always a great idea if you can’t think of anything. You can dry your guards even faster if you have a good hairdryer.
Are shin guards waterproof?
No, MMA shin guards aren’t waterproof all the time. Shin guards made of a material like neoprene offer water-resistant properties. Other than that, most of the shin guards aren’t even resistant to water or moisture. So, you must take care of them to make them long-lasting.
When should I get new shin guards?
You need to get a new pair of shin guards if you notice any of the following things in your shin guards.
- If there’s a huge stubborn stain that is not coming off even after trying hard.
- Also, it’s probably time to replace your old guards with new ones if there’s cracking in the material of the guards.
- Smelly guards can make your training hard. So, it’s a good idea to replace those old stinky guards, especially if it’s impossible to remove the smell.
Cleaning is the only way to make your MMA shin guards long-lasting and squeaky clean all the time. Otherwise, your spraying fellows might avoid talking to you if your gear is full of foul sweat smell. No one wants that, isn’t it?
Knowing the right way to clean the shin guards will increase longevity and resilience. Consequently, you won’t feel like buying a new pair of shin guards. Just use the right method to clean your MMA gear as we mentioned above, and dry them. In addition to that, make sure to follow do’s and don’ts while washing MMA shin guards.
We went to an extra length to explain how to clean shin guards muay Thai, and some tips as well. Go grab your guards and wash them by using the right method. Squeaky clean muay Thai guards make your training even more effective.